Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday Mural: Keeping Tobacco Sacred

I found this large, interesting mural on Grand Avenue near Lake Merritt.  I couldn't figure out why such an intricate mural was on the wall of a parking lot.  Until I realized the lot belongs to the American Indian Child Resource Center next door.  Oakland has a diverse population including many tribal groups.
Made in 2004, this mural was part of an anti-smoking health education campaign calling for tobacco's use only in sacred ceremonies as had been done for millenia.   I was impressed by the inclusion of symbols from many different tribes and how bright the colors remain. 

If you like murals or have a mural you'd like to post, this meme's for you.  Just follow the Linky steps below.  You get to decide what constitutes a mural.  Be sure to link back to this blog and visit your fellow posters.  Looking forward to the mural finds posted this week.

16 comments:

  1. A very interesting and colorful mural. I hope it did it's job in helping to cut down on smoking. I find it surprising that anyone can afford to smoke anymore these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely correct about the bright colors...an important part of the mural. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors jumps of the wall. I must admit that I find it a bit crowded with information and gives my brain an exploding impression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a magnificent mural and with such a great message too!

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how vibrant the colors are after 8 years - lots going on in that mural! I am glad you did a closeup of the writing on the wall...that would have made me crazy trying to figure it out! Very nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always impressed by the murals (or community art projects) that are used to educate, inform or relay information and history in such vibrant and beautiful ways. I find it sad that my town only has the one small mural that I posted some months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting and eye-catching. Love the native feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is very bright and full of symbols and information - maybe a little too much information for one mural.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some bright and colorful murals! Beautiful! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you explained the tobacco, the tag line on the mural really threw me for a loop. It is a great mural, and has held up really well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy an occasional bowl of pipe tobacco. Blame it on my grandfather's tin of Walter Raleigh. Am I a bad boy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. sooo colorful and an important message. i am surprised that kids pick up smoking now days knowing how awful it is for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely done and a wonderful campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice one!
    the older i get, the more i really, really dislike people smoking...

    ReplyDelete